(no subject)
Dec. 22nd, 2007 07:16 pmAgnes stares hard at her reflection in Suzi's bathroom mirror.
"How could you think that was funny? It was mean and hurtful!"
The reflection doesn't actually change, but Perdita's in Agnes' head enough to make it appear so to the witch.
I can't help it if they have no sense of humor. It was true, though! All you two have ever done in a bed is sleep!
"That isn't the point! You just don't say things like that. I really like this guy. And he likes me! And he isn't with me because he made some... stupid oath that he would be!"
"How could you think that was funny? It was mean and hurtful!"
The reflection doesn't actually change, but Perdita's in Agnes' head enough to make it appear so to the witch.
I can't help it if they have no sense of humor. It was true, though! All you two have ever done in a bed is sleep!
"That isn't the point! You just don't say things like that. I really like this guy. And he likes me! And he isn't with me because he made some... stupid oath that he would be!"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 12:23 am (UTC)"Agnes?"
He sounds... worried. And a little nervous. And evern a little ashamed.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 01:42 am (UTC)He'll still like you after this, Perdita had been saying. Tell him you were having your monthlys, and all will be forgiven.
"Lie, cheat, and steal, you mean? That's your answer for everything!" Agnes shouts back.
It's not mine, it's yours. It's what you would do if you threw away your propriety and manner and really let yourself do as you pleased. That's what I am, remember?
"And the intent was so those things would stay buried where they belong! Not spewing out of my mouth at the first opportunity!"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 01:55 am (UTC)"Agnes? Agnes, are you okay in there?"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:14 am (UTC)But Agnes isn't listening to Perdita anymore. She's heard another voice on the other side of the door, and realizes with a slow horror that he's probably been there for a while.
"Shut up, just shut up!" she hisses back at the mirror, forcing the mental reflection away. After splashing a little water on her face, Agnes takes a deep breath and opens the door.
"I'm fine," she says in a less-than-convincing voice. Then, hearing how dull and dishonest her tone is, she sighs. "No, I'm not fine. But I don't know how to explain what isn't fine."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:37 am (UTC)"What's to explain, babe?"
He breathes out and while he never looks in her eyes, right now he's just avoiding her whole face.
"It's not a big deal, Agnes. Whatever you think, you're not unattractive. And if I'm now what you're looking for hey, it happens. Life's too short to stay with something that isn't giving you what you need."
He smoothes his hand on her arm.
"It's okay. I'll still lend you those books, even. It's cool."
He's good at covering up the pain. Harry had letting it fester down pat, especially that explode later thing. Carlos just let it sink to the bottom, carried it with him.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:43 am (UTC)"No, that's not it at all. I think you're great, and I like what we have, and what we could have. There's just... something about me you don't know. And I just don't know how... I mean, I'm not... The person you know isn't..."
Agnes throws up her hands.
"Damn it, I just don't know how to say it!"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:46 am (UTC)And he doesn't say it because he would it, but it's easy enough to read.
It can't be more tactless than what you already said.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:49 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:52 am (UTC)He might as well get that out of the way while it was bothering him.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 02:55 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:00 am (UTC)"Do you mind? Our lack of sex life?"
He'll get to Perdita in a minute.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:07 am (UTC)"If I wanted sex, I could get it anytime I cared to by going to the brothel. But I tried that, and it just felt wrong. Sex isn't what I'm after, I realized. I want what I had with Tim, which was love. And I know it's not good to talk about your ex -- she told me that last time -- but there's no way else to say it, and it's the truth, and damn it, I hate the thought of lying to you. And I think I could love you -- I don't know how you feel about me -- but until I do, I don't want to screw anything up with you, but it keeps happening anyway, and so I had to tell you before it happens again and makes things even worse!"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:09 am (UTC)Mostly because he decided to kiss her.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:19 am (UTC)"I was afraid you wouldn't believe me," she says when the kiss breaks, laying her head against his chest. "I wouldn't believe me if I was anyone else but me."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:22 am (UTC)"I will tell you honestly that I don't know if I'm in love with you, but I know I love you. That I'm very sure of."
His hands smooth down her hair and against her cheek.
"And I don't think you would lie to me. Not about that."
A faint smile.
"And it explains the duet I heard sometimes when I was looking around with my Sight. I never looked at you, but I could hear it a little."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 03:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 04:03 am (UTC)"My wizard's Sight? It's actually sound. When you use the Sight, you see past all illusions to what things really are. How you perceive that is different for every wizard. For me? It's sound, usually music."
He gives her a crooked grin.
"Whenever I'd look near you while I was using my Sight, I'd start hearing a duet."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 04:13 am (UTC)"That might not be because of that. It might be because I can do this..."
She starts singing softly, a bit of an aria from a French opera she'd learned from Meg a couple of years ago. Then, her second voice comes in, harmonizing with the first.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 04:14 am (UTC)"...my sister would kill to be able to do that."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 04:33 am (UTC)"And I could do that before Perdita."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 04:35 am (UTC)He looks at Agnes, as if looking for a second head, before focusing on Agnes's...
Well, her nose for the moment.
"Is that why you--"
And he sort of waves a hand in a vague gesture.
"With the soulgaze thing?"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 05:27 am (UTC)Agnes reaches over and twines her fingers with his.
"You ever hear the expression 'inside every fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate'?"
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 05:32 am (UTC)And he'd grown up with six aunts and six older sisters.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 05:45 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 05:52 am (UTC)"Is there a reason why she's, uh..."
'Bitchrag' is the kind of word that could break the moment.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 06:01 am (UTC)"Well, that's sort of the part makes it so hard to talk about. Perdita is me. She's who I would have been if I'd been thin. She's got all the confidence, all the wit, and none of the shame or restraint. She's not a separate person. She's all the parts of me that I've repressed out of fear or self-doubt. Which means, if you take us together, I'm really not a very nice or good person."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 01:04 pm (UTC)"So... you named your Id?"
He skips on ahead, figuring that if she hasn't heard of it, so be it.
"Agnes? Everyone has that little inside of them. Most of us don't name it and hey, maybe it doesn't get like it is with you and Perdita, but regardless...
"What happened earlier? You didn't want to say that. If it had been up to you, you wouldn't have. Having impulses doesn't make you a rotten person and lacking them doesn't make you nice. It's what you choose to do with them, either way.
"And you're my Agnes, big and sweet and beautiful."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 05:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-23 08:58 pm (UTC)He looks at her sideways.
"That doesn't change what I said, though. She's a little bigger and badder than the usual Id. She's real. Fine."
A small, still nervous smile.
"You're still you. And I still think you are a good person." There's a short pause before he looks right at her, well, nose.
"Perdita" and there's something to how he says that name, something that echoes across the skin, "will have to learn to behave. You gave her her name, Agnes. That's power over her, if you're willing to use it."
He'd said the thin girl's Name to make a point. He would never use that name to do anything... but he wanted to show Agnes.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-24 03:48 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-24 03:53 pm (UTC)After a minute, though, the mouth must have out.
"You're not getting rid of me that easily."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-24 05:04 pm (UTC)After a minute or so, Agnes looks around and realizes again where they are.
"You know, someone else may need to use this bathroom. Want to come up to my room? We can snuggle on the bed and listen to music if you want."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 02:30 am (UTC)"Yeah, we can do a venue change. I mean, I know I'm Romeo and everything but even I'm not too fond of rockin' the toilet here."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 02:33 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 02:37 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:05 am (UTC)"Sounds good to me. You know Sara works for the Opera in Los Angeles, right?"
His eyes roll a little.
"Though you shoulda caught me the other day. The bar decided to let me in while I was working the mariachi spot for my cousin."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:06 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:20 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 03:25 am (UTC)She walks over to the music player and -- she'd had to be taught how to do this -- puts one of the music discs into the holder. It's a French opera by someone named Puccini. Agnes presses the button labeled "Play" and goes back to the bed to lay down.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 04:40 am (UTC)"Sounds good."
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 04:46 am (UTC)"It's one of my favorites," she murmurs. After a few more minutes of listening, she starts softly singing along, not even aware she's doing it. She sings both male and female parts, and has the range to pull them both off, even while only half-singing.
no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 04:48 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 04:55 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-12-25 04:59 am (UTC)